Do you find yourself constantly battling against a pigeon invasion in your backyard? Are those pesky birds leaving no stone unturned to ruin your peace of mind? Fear not! We’ve got the ultimate guide to effective pest control, specifically tailored to tackle all your pigeon problems.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into practical and proven strategies that will provide ways to remove pigeons from your property and help you reclaim your space from these feathered fiends. From understanding their behaviour patterns to implementing innovative deterrents, we’ve got you covered every step of the way. So say goodbye to incessant cooing and messy droppings – let’s embark on a mission towards a pigeon-free paradise together!
What is the Pigeon Problem?
The pigeon problem is one of the most common pest control issues faced by homeowners. Pigeons can cause a lot of damage to property and crops, and can be difficult to get rid of. Here are some tips on how to deal with pigeons effectively:
- Get a good bird identification book or app. This will allow you to identify different types of pigeons in your area and alert you to their habits, and so where they are most likely to roost.
- If you have access to an attic or roof space, block it off completely. Pigeons like tight spaces where they can hide, so make sure they can’t get into any areas that are important for them (like a ventilation shaft).
- Set up barriers around sensitive areas like flower beds or outdoor food sources. The pigeons will avoid these areas if they know they’ll get trapped if they attempt to nest there.
- Try using pigeon repellents made from natural ingredients like citronella oil or cedar chips. These repellents work best when applied directly to the ground around the target area, rather than sprayed overhead as is often done with chemical repellents.
Tips for preventing pigeons from entering your home or business
- Make sure your home or business is properly sealed: Pigeons are excellent climbers and can easily gain access to high areas of a building, such as roofing or windowsills. To prevent pigeons from entering your home or business, make sure that all openings are properly sealed and that there are no gaps around doors and windows.
- Use exclusion devices: One of the most effective ways to prevent pigeons from entering your home or business is to use exclusion devices. These devices are usually attached to the exterior wall of the building and release a harmful substance that repels pigeons. Some popular exclusion devices include electronic repellents, bird spikes, and sonic birdscarers.
- Keep food storage areas clean: Pigeon droppings contain a number of parasites that can cause disease in humans if ingested. To keep food storage areas clean from pigeon droppings, wipe down surfaces regularly with a disinfectant spray or vacuum cleaner with the hose attachment fitted with a fine-mesh filter.
What to do if pigeons are already inside
If pigeons are already inside your home or business, steps must be taken to ensure their safety and remove them. Pigeons can cause significant damage to property by pecking at walls, ceilings, and other objects. Additionally, they can spread diseases such as bird flu. A few tips for dealing with pigeon problems include:
1) Establish a bird-proofing strategy. This will help keep the pigeons out of areas they are not supposed to be in and minimise their potential damage. Equipment such as mesh screens, netting, and bird spikes can all be effective deterrents against birds.
2) Get rid of food sources. Pigeon droppings contain seeds that will sprout once wet and become a food source for other pests such as rodents. Eliminate any potential food sources like spilled grains or feeders that are frequently used by the birds.
3) Use a repellent spray or fogger when necessary. These products work by emitting an odour that is repulsive to pigeons and will discourage them from coming close to the area where it is being used.
Pigeons can be a nuisance when they roost in high places and defecate all over your property. This guide should help you to rid your home or premises of pigeons by taking the right approaches at any stage. First, identify the pigeon problem and then read our tips for solving it using pest control methods that are most effective against pigeons. Finally, take action and put these steps into practice so that you can finally rid yourself of those pesky birds! This is whether you choose to tackle the problem yourself through DIY methods or choose to bring in pest control experts. The latter will likely prove a longer-lasting solution.