When we watch a film, we rarely realize the complexity of the process behind these images passing before our eyes. On-screen, it is many hours of work, a lot of logistics, and many different professions that are transformed into a living work. And precisely, among these professions, the producer, as well as the director, are major actors working together to carry out a film project. But what is the difference between producer vs director?
Producer vs Director
What Is A Producer?
The role of the film producer is to manage everything concerning the commercial aspect of the production. It intervenes both artistically and financially.
He may be self-employed or work for a production company. The producer plays a role in every step of the production.
Attention, there are several types of producers: the executive producer, the executive producer, the associated producer, the co-producer, and the production manager.
What Are the Tasks Of The Producer?
Since there are several types of producers, each has specific tasks, but in a general way, here are the objectives of this role:
- Find the script and start the film project.
- Manage project funding by first establishing a budget. This part will help for the search for investors, but also for the recruitment of the team as well as the actors.
- To collect the necessary funds to carry out the realization of the film.
- Establish the calendar of shooting days in order to fit into the established budget.
- Administer all elements relating to pre-production, namely preparation for filming (filming locations, permits, etc.).
- Hire actors, writers, directors, and other members of the film crew.
- Lead the production team during filming, ensuring that everyone correctly fulfills their assigned role.
- Manage everything related to post-production, namely the operations that will make it possible to finalize the production of the film.
- Take care of the marketing and distribution part, that is to say that the producer will have to market the film.
Here is the list of a few famous Hollywood Producers and their Networth
Kevin Feige Net Worth
|Kevin Feige Net Worth||$200 Million|
|Worldwide Box Office||$22 Billion|
|Known For||Marvel Cinematic Universe, Avengers: Endgame, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War|
Kathleen Kennedy Net Worth
|Kathleen Kennedy Net Worth||$300 Million|
|Worldwide Box Office||$12.8 Billion|
|Known for||Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Episode VII),The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Lincoln (film)|
David Heyman Net Worth
|David Heyman Net Worth||$175 Million|
|Worldwide Box Office||$11.5 Billion|
|Known for||Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, I Am Legend|
Jerry Bruckheimer Net Worth
|Jerry Bruckheimer Net Worth||$1 Billion|
|Worldwide Box Office||$10.6 Billion|
|Known for||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Rock (film), Pearl Harbor (film)|
|Neal H. Moritz Net Worth||$150 Million|
|Worldwide Box Office||$9.5 Billion|
|Known for||The Fate of the Furious, S.W.A.T. 2003, Fast and Furious 7|
Jon Favreau Net Worth
|Jon Favreau Net Worth||$100 Million|
|Worldwide Box Office||$2.7 Billion|
|Known for||Iron Man 1-2-3, The Wolf of Wall Street, Avengers: Age of Ultron|
What Is A Director?
The role of the director is, as the name suggests, to direct the film. Like an orchestra conductor, he will manage all the creative part, direct the production by ensuring that the script, the actors and the technical team work together to bring the film to life. It is therefore he who takes care of all the staging, whether for a TV series, the cinema or even on a personal basis since there are directors for your videos.
What Are The Director’s Tasks?
The director also has a fair amount of work to do:
- Work in close collaboration with the producer for everything concerning the programming of the shooting (location scouting, preparation of sets, costumes, etc.).
- Transmit their aesthetic vision of the film to the team so that they can apply it.
- Participate in castings for actors.
- Set up the production team in association with the producer.
- Intervene if necessary in the hiring of certain members of the technical team.
- Direct the actors, the camera, as well as the technical team during the shooting.
- Make sure that each production department correctly fulfills its role.
- Respect the program and budget set up by the producer.
- Depending on the terms of his contract, he may or may not direct the editing.
Here is the list of few famous Hollywood Directors and their Networth
Steven Spielberg Net Worth
|Steven Spielberg Net Worth||$3.7 Billion|
|Known for||Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull|
Martin Scorsese Net Worth
|Martin Scorsese Net Worth||$ 150 Million|
|Known for||The Departed, Goodfellas, The Irishman|
Quentin Tarantino Net Worth
|Quentin Tarantino Net Worth||$120 Million|
|Known for||Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol 1&2|
Christopher Nolan Net Worth
|Christopher Nolan Net Worth||$250 Million|
|Known for||Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, Inception|
Tim Burton Net Worth
|Tim Burton Net Worth||$100 Million|
|Known for||Alice in Wonderland, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands|
Producer vs Director – So What are the Main Differences Between them?
The main difference is that the producer works mainly on the commercial part of the making of the film, even if he intervenes on certain creative points. For his part, the director will mainly manage precisely this creative part of the production.
Either way, the two work closely together and have to communicate regularly on different points of the production from start to finish.