Eggs are the most common food in life. When you buy eggs and go home, you can’t finish eating them. How long is the shelf life of eggs? Actually, the shelf life of eggs varies according to the temperature. Generally, it can be stored for a longer period of time in winter, and it is easy to disperse yellow in summer. The shelf life of eggs will be explained in detail below that How Long do Fresh Eggs Last
Eggs are the most common food in life. When you buy eggs and go home, you can’t finish eating them. How long is the shelf life of eggs? Actually, the shelf life of eggs varies according to the temperature. Generally, it can be stored for a longer period of time in winter, and it is easy to disperse yellow in summer. The shelf life of eggs will be explained in detail below.
How long is the shelf life of eggs, How Long do Fresh Eggs Last
When the temperature is 2～5℃, the shelf life of eggs is 40 days, while it is 15 days at room temperature in winter and 10 days at room temperature in summer.
With the improvement of the quality of life, people pay more attention to nutrition and health in the diet. For a long time, people have paid attention to the shelf life of milk, bread, and cans, but the shelf life of small eggs has not been paid much attention to. When buying eggs, you only pay attention to whether there are bad eggs and never ask about its shelf life. In fact, most people can’t tell how long the shelf life of eggs is.
According to experts, like vegetables and meat, eggs have a shelf life. Experiments have shown that the shelf life of eggs is 40 days at a temperature of 2 to 5°C, 15 days at room temperature in winter, and 10 days at room temperature in summer. The freshness and nutritional content of eggs beyond the shelf life will be affected to a certain extent. Influence. If stored for too long, the eggs will deteriorate due to bacterial invasion, causing sticky shells and yellowing.
Fortunately, many supermarkets have begun to sell fresh eggs with the date of production. You can easily calculate the shelf life based on the date.
How to judge the deterioration of eggs?
- After opening the egg, it is found that the yolk is scattered, the egg white and egg yolk are mixed together, or there is a musty or rancid smell, so it can no longer be eaten. This is the most direct way to judge whether the egg has deteriorated.
- Transmission with daylight: Hold the egg in a circle with your left hand, place the egg on the end of the circle, and see through the sun. The fresh egg is reddish, translucent, and the outline of the yolk is clear, dim, opaque, or stained, indicating the egg Has deteriorated.
- Test with cold water: if the egg lies flat in the water, it is very fresh; if it is tilted in the water, it has been stored for at least 3 to 5 days; if it is standing upright in the water, it may be stored for as long as 10 days, if it floats On the surface of the water, this kind of egg may have deteriorated.
- A layer of hoar frost is attached to the eggshell of fresh eggs, the eggshells are bright in color and have obvious stomata. Otherwise, they are aged eggs.
- Shake the eggs gently with your hands, the ones with no sound are fresh eggs, and the ones with water are old ones.
How to preserve eggs
- Store in the refrigerator. When placing, put the protruding side of the tip down and the big end up, and stack them upright, not horizontally.
- Put some sawdust, sawdust, fine sand, rice bran, chaff, plant ash in the container, and put the egg head down vertically to extend the preservation time
Note: Do not wash the eggs before storing them!
Overall, the retention period of eggs still depends on the environment. For example, in winter, a refrigerator at 0° can even be stored for a month, and it is related to the state of placement. The egg can breathe by itself. The bottom shelf has a longer shelf life, that is, it is often said that the big head is on top or the small head is on top, (the eggs are placed vertically, and the shelf life is the longest). If it’s summer, it’s over 30 degrees, if you put it in the kitchen and not in the refrigerator, it will deteriorate in four or five days at most.